Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bars

So my bars were 8 7/8" wide on the bottom and my top tree is 8 3/8" wide.  So most people will never notice but I wanted them to be the same width so I decided to take a 1/2" out of the bars.


So I figured I would cut them in half and then cut 1/2" off then plug them and weld it back together.  I placed the cut so the weld would be under the clamp so if I didn't get it completely smoothed back out you would never see it.  Well, that didn't matter because I ended up having to cut them again and have a piece welded in.  For some reason I was getting a lot of porosity in the weld.  I tried to grind it out with no luck.  Ended up cutting it out and adding a small piece and that made sure the metal was clean and still porosity.  Needless to say I was fucking pissed.   I am still not sure why the porosity is there.  Only thing I can think of is there is a small leak in the gas hose that is pulling in air with the argon and causing it but I am not sure.  So I was at the point that if I messed it up again I was not sure I was going to be able to save the bars so I dropped them off at a local shop and had them weld them up.  Not very happy about the situation but they are done.


I decided since I was sanding down the welds from the narrowing job that I would smooth all the welds out.


No comments:

Post a Comment